INDRESWOR MAHADEV TEMPLE is close to the TRIBENIGHAT (three rivers junction) and is an impressive landmark and one of the main attractions of PANAUTI.
It is one of the oldest and the best example of traditional multi-roofed Pagoda style architecture in Nepal.
Built on a square plinth, the highest roof and the Pinnacles are entirely made of hand beaten Copper that has been covered with thick Gold leaf.
The rest of the roofs are covered in traditional small terracotta tiles called “JHINGATI”.
Mentioned in the 14th Century GOPALRAJVANSAVALI chronicle, the building of the Temple was commissioned and started under Princess BIRAMADEVI of PANAUTI in 1294 AD and after nearly nine decades of construction, the Golden Pinnacle was offered by King JAYASINGH RAMVARDHAN in 1383 AD.
In 1816 AD the temple was again renovated and a Gold plated Copper roof was gifted by King SURENDRA BIKRAM SHAH.
The most recent renovations date from 1992-1996 AD and were conducted by KAVRE INTEGRATED PROJECT run by the Department of Archeology of Nepal with the financial support of the French Government.
There are many outstanding wood carvings typical of the medieval period remarkable by their elegance and size.
The roof supports are particularly impressive and are bigger that anywhere else in Nepal.
The supporting struts of the Northern elevation have beautiful carvings of MATRIKAS, the Mother Goddesses. Those of the East have images of SALABHANJIKAS related to the cult of Fertility.
The Southern supporting struts have intricate carving relating episodes of great Hindu Epic MAHABHARATA and the Western elevation has carvings relating stories from the other great Hindu Epic RAMAYANA.
A SHIVALINGA is in the Inner Sanctum and is the main object of worship of the INDRESWOR MAHADEV Temple and many devotees come to pay homage to it during the MAKARA MELLA occurring every twelve years.